Saturday, November 26, 2011

Rainy Day


Today has found us holed up in our cozy den by rain and the odd smattering of hail. It was the perfect opportunity to hammer away at the financials and do some more recipe testing. You can guess which one I'm slightly less enamored with!

Unfortunately banks speak in the language of numbers and I speak in the language of, well, aesthetics. Luckily Matt speaks math fluently so I got to go play in the kitchen. This arrangement is best for everyone.

One thing we've started routinely doing at home is making our own veggie stock from all the scraps and peelings we amass from cooking during the week. We gradually fill a plastic container and keep it in the fridge, then boil it up with some salt, pepper and bay until delicious.

We freeze it in big batches for soups and stews, and in smaller containers or ice cube trays to use in sauces and the like. Once frozen, I put the cubes into a zip lock bag, ready to be plucked out and used to bring a beautiful glaze to a gravy or some extra flavor to a sauce.

Try it yourself, it's awfully easy and tremendously green. There's no real recipe, anything goes. Experiment a bit! In fact, I highly recommend it if only for an instantly virtuous feeling.

Em.





4 comments:

  1. I love you you big greeny! Love the idea of homemade chicken stock and I'm going to whip up a batch this week! Excited to see this all unfold my love, my kindred spirit, my foxy friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! It'll taste so good you'll never go back. Is it just ridiculously green to feed the mushy post-stock veggie's to my worm farm??? Probably. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using carcass for stock for years now. I get really peeved when I run out and have to buy the dodgy stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wholelarderlove... I know the feeling, I'm always on the prowl through the freezer making sure I've got enough. Boo to the dodgy stuff! :) Thanks for stopping by. x

    ReplyDelete